Friday, December 14, 2012

20 Paper Mache Ornament


HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! Christmas Ornaments make great gifts. Paper Mache Ornaments are easy and fun to make. You can use any type of paper to Decoupage Paper Mache. I used a cute wrapping Christmas paper I stumbled upon while shopping at Target and Kraft Paper from the Dollar Store.

This Holiday, I decided to participate in One Artsy Mama's first Ornament Exchange.



I was paired up with Melanie from BearRabbitBear. Decoupage is one of my favorite craft. I decided to create a Paper Mache Ornament for Melanie.

To begin, I gathered the following materials:

Materials:
  • 4" Paper Mache Round Ornament
  • Wrapping Paper
  • Kraft Paper

  • Mod Podge
  • Foam Brush
  • Fine Glitter
  • Toothpick
  • Hot Glue & Sticks

Directions:
  1. Cut out your designs from the wrapping paper. I cut two gingerbread men, one tree and one cookie, plus a few peppermint candies.
  2. Cut 20-25 1/2" x 4" strips of Kraft paper.
  3. Insert a toothpick inside the ornament's top section and tie the hanger to it to prevent gluing it to the surface. Having the toothpick inside the ornament will help you hold the ornament as you add your strips.
  4. Working in sections, begin adding the paper strips to the ornament. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the ornament's surface and to the back of each paper strip. Apply strip to the ornament, smoothing with brush or your fingers.
  5. Continue adding and overlapping the paper strips until ornament is covered. Add another coat of Mod Podge over entire ornament. Let dry completely.
  6. Apply Mod Podge to your design cut-outs and apply them around the ornament. I applied my cut-outs using this sequence: gingerbread men, tree, gingerbread men and a cookie. I added the peppermint candies to the ornament's top section and one to the bottom.
  7. Apply another thin coat of Mod Podge over the entire ornament to seal the design. Let dry completely.
  8. Add a final Mod Podge coat and sprinkle glitter while the surface is wet. Let dry completely
  9. Remove the toothpick. If the hanger detaches from the ornament, use some hot glue to re-attach.

Here is another view of the Ornament. I love how this ornament turned out.
I hope Melanie likes it.


Merry Christmas!!!!

Linking to:
Today's Creative Blog
debbie-debbiedoos

Cherished Bliss







Featured on:







20 comments:

  1. these are adorable! i love the touch of sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!!!! I LOVE this project. so cute!!! Your blog is great too. I'm hanna and I am your newest follower:) Nice meeting you:) Yo can find me any old time at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!! xoxoxoxo Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! This will be fun to do with the grandkids, yours turned out adorable!
    Saw you linking at the Dollar Store Link Party
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the addition of the glitter is the perfect finishing touch! thank you so much for linking up to our party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Thanks also for showing the details because I am new to such craftiness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! These are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover